What type of personal information do I collect?
I collect certain personal information about visitors and users of my Site. The most common types of information I collect are things like: user names, member names, email addresses, other contact details, transactional details, support queries and web analytics data. I may also collect personal information from job applications and this information may be used to assess an applicant's suitability for employment. Information or an opinion is your "personal information" if it is about you as an identified or identifiable individual.
How I collect personal information
I may collect personal information directly when you provide it to us, automatically as you navigate through the Site or through other people when you use a service within the Site.
When you provide personal information to us via the Site you're consenting to us collecting and using that information in line with this policy and the user terms of the Site. You are likely to provide personal information when you complete membership registration and buy or provide items or services on my Site, subscribe to a newsletter, email list, submit feedback, enter a contest, fill out a survey, or send us a communication.
If you choose not to provide personal information, I may not be able to provide you with my services and you may not be able to carry out transactions or access the full range of features available through my Site.
Personal information I collect about you from others
Although I generally collect personal information directly from you, I may on occasion also collect information about you from other people and by using tracking technologies such as cookies and other web analytics software or services.
How do I use personal information?
I may use your personal information in order for us to:
- operate the Site and provide you with services described on the Site, like to verify your identity when you sign in to my Site, to facilitate and process transactions that take place on the Site, to respond to support tickets and to help facilitate the resolution of any disputes
- customise my services and products, like advertising that may appear on the Site, in order to provide a more personalised experience
- update you with operational news and information about my Site and services like to notify you about changes to my Site or security updates
- provide you with information that you request from us or, where I have your consent to do so, provide you with marketing information about products and services which I feel may interest you
- carry out technical analysis to determine how to improve the Site and services I provide
- monitor activity on the Site, like to identify potential fraudulent activity and to ensure compliance with the user terms that apply to the Site
- manage my relationship with you, like by responding to your comments or queries submitted to us on the Site or asking for your feedback or whether you want to participate in a survey
- manage my legal and operational affairs
- train Glenn Arkell staff about how to best serve my community
- provide general administrative and performance functions and activities.
When may I disclose your personal information?
I may disclose personal information to people like:
- my professional advisers (lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc)
- regulators and government authorities in connection with my compliance procedures and obligations
- a purchaser or prospective purchaser of all or part of my assets or my business, and their professional advisers, in connection with the purchase
- other people where I are authorised or required by law to do so.
How do I store your personal information?
I store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and my service providers, and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location. Personal information that I store is subject to security and access controls, including username and password authentication and data encryption where appropriate.
How can you access your personal information?
You can access some of the information that I collect about you by logging in to your account. You also have the right to make a request to access other information I hold about you and to request corrections of any errors in that information. You may also close the account you have with us for my Site at any time. To make an access or correction request, contact us by using the contact details on my Site.
Choices regarding control of your personal information
Where I have your consent to do so (e.g if you have subscribed to one of my e-mail lists or have otherwise indicated that you are interested in receiving offers or information from us), I may send you marketing communications about products and services that I feel may be of interest to you. You can 'opt-out' of such communications if you would prefer not to receive them in the future.
If your e-mail address has changed and you would like to continue to receive my e-mails, you will need to access your account and update your e-mail address information in your account and sign-up again for those e-mails that you want to receive.
If I send e-mails with commercial content I will generally include an "unsubscribe" facility that you can use to opt-out of further communications – to opt-out, just follow the instructions in the e-mail. I might not include an opt-out facility in important operational and service-based e-mails concerning things like your purchases, the user terms, important updates and need-to-know messages. By using my Site you agree that I do not need to include opt-out facilities in those messages.
You also have choices about cookies, as described below. By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject cookies some parts of my Site may not work properly in your case.
Cookies (not the type you eat!) and web analytics
Generally speaking, when you visit my Site, there's certain information that's recorded which is generally anonymous information and may not reveal your true identity. If you're logged into your account some of this information could be associated with your account. I'm talking about the following kinds of details:
- your IP or proxy server IP
- basic domain information
- your Internet service provider is sometimes captured depending on the configuration of your ISP connection
- the date and time of your visit to the website
- the length of your session
- the pages which you have accessed
- the number of times you access my site within any month;
- the size of file you look at
- the website which referred you to my Site
- the operating system which your computer uses.
Information about children
My Site is not suitable for children under the age of 13 years, so if you are under 13 I ask that you do not use my Site or give us your personal information (if you are a young tech wiz, please direct your nearest responsible adult to use the Site for you!). If you are from 13 to 18 years, you can browse the Site but will need the supervision of a parent or guardian to become a registered user. It is the responsibility of parents or guardians to monitor their children's use of my Site.
Information you make public or give to others
When I need to update this policy
I may need to change this policy from time to time in order to make sure it stays up to date with the latest legal requirements and any changes to my privacy management practices. When I do amend the policy, the changes will be effective straightaway. I'll usually publish information about changes to be made to this policy on my Site – but please be aware that it is your responsibility to check in and make sure you keep up to date with any changes to this policy.
How can you contact us?
If you have any concerns about how I have been managing your personal information, or if you think I have not been complying with Australian privacy law, you can make a complaint in writing to us. I will consider your complaint and contact you to resolve the matter. For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, please visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website at www.oaic.gov.au.